Skip to main content
  • Share:

planning panels and enforcement bill explanatory note 2017 835x373


An Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel, known as an IHAP, is a panel of three independent expert members and a community member who assess development applications made to local Councils.


IHAPs are to become mandatory for all councils in Sydney and for Wollongong City Council. IHAPs are to be put in place so that the process of assessment and determination of development applications (DAs) of high value, corruption risk, sensitivity or strategic importance is transparent and accountable.


Statutory rules will govern the panels operation, through a code of conduct.


The Minister for Planning will choose the independent, expert Chairs for Councils to appoint to their IHAP. Councils will also choose two expert members to appoint to their IHAP from a pool established by the Department of Planning and Environment and approved by the Minister for Planning. It will be up to Councils to recruit and appoint community members to the panels.


Panel members are required to be expert in one or more of the following fields: planning, architecture, heritage, the environment, urban design, economics, traffic and transport, law, engineering, tourism, or government and public administration.


Panel chairs are required to have expertise in law, or government and public administration.


Councillors, property developers and real estate agents will be ineligible to be panel members as this undermines the objective of having DAs determined by independent experts, depoliticising the assessment process.


Minister for Planning, Anthony Roberts has appointed IHAP Chairs and a pool of expert panel members. Councils can now select and appoint their expert panel members from the following list. A guide has been provided to assist this process.


For more information please contact the Planning Panels Secretariat on (02) 8217 2060.


Call for Community Representatives for the Hills Shire open now

Do you live in the Hills District? Are you passionate about your community?


We are looking for people who live locally to join the new Hills Shire Council IHAP as a community representative, helping make decisions about development in the area.


You could be a part of this great opportunity to make decisions for your area, working alongside three experts in planning on the panel.


Mayors, councillors, property developers and real estate agents are not eligible to apply.


For further details about the position and IHAPs, contact Maria Wastell at the Department of Planning and Environment on 02 8275 1019.

To Apply

If you would like to apply, download the nomination form from the list below.


Applications must be lodged by close of business 26 March 2018 and sent to

Page last updated: 21/02/2018