Sydney Harbour Catchment Regional Environmental Plan
Sydney Regional Environmental Plan (Sydney Harbour Catchment) 2005 (Harbour REP) covers all the waterways of the Harbour, the foreshores and entire catchment. It establishes a set of planning principles to be used by councils for the preparation of planning instruments, for the hydrological catchment of the Harbour. It also zones the waterways into nine different zones to suit the differing environmental characteristics and land uses of the harbour and its tributaries.
The Harbour REP includes a range of matters for consideration by consent authorities assessing development within the Foreshores and Waterways Area of the Plan. These are aimed at ensuring better and consistent development decisions and include such issues as ecological and scenic quality, built form and design, maintenance of views, public access and recreation and working harbour uses. The REP includes provisions relating to heritage conservation and wetlands protection and provides planning controls for strategic foreshore sites.
On 27 July 2007, Amendment No. 1 to the REP was gazetted, which establishes a buffer zone around the Sydney Opera House as well as supporting planning controls to give added protection to its world heritage values.
Buffer zone map approved by the Minister for Planning on 19 July 2007.
Sydney Regional Environmental Plan (Sydney Harbour Catchment) 2005 - legal instrument as amended (available on the NSW legislation website)
Explanatory notes to the REP
The Foreshores and Waterways Planning and Development Advisory Committee
About the committee
The Foreshores and Waterways Planning and Development Advisory Committee provides advice to consent authorities on a range of matters including proposals for foreshore and waterway developments in the Sydney Harbour catchment.
The committee is established under the Sydney Regional Environmental Plan (Sydney Harbour Catchment) 2005, which came into effect in September 2005, also known as the Harbour REP.
The committee is comprised of representatives from Transport for NSW (Roads and Maritime Services), the Department of Planning and Infrastructure and the relevant consent authority (usually council).
The Harbour REP sets out which matters should be referred to the committee (see clauses 29 to 31 and Schedule 2).
The committee generally meets once every three weeks and meetings are hosted by either the department or Roads and Maritime Services.
New procedures were adopted in August 2011 for the calling of meetings and conduct of business. These procedures aim to focus government resources more efficiently on items generally considered to be of:
- State or regional planning significance;
- In the public interest;
- A matter for which the committee can offer technical or expert advice.
Committee procedures – August 2011
Sydney Harbour Catchment Map
Foreshores and Waterways Area Map
Foreshores and Waterways Area Boundary
Strategic Foreshore sites
Zoning Map Area Boundary
Special Purposes (Boat Repair Facilities and Commercial Marinas) Map
Strategic Foreshore Sites Map
- Sheet 1 City Foreshores Area
- Sheet 2 Garden Island
- Sheet 3 North Head
- Sheet 4 St Patrick's Estate, North Head Peninsula
- Sheet 5 Manly Wharf
- Sheet 6 Middle Head
- Sheet 7 Taronga Zoological Gardens
- Sheet 8 HMAS Platypus
- Sheet 9 Luna Park
- Sheet 10 SRA Land, Lavender Bay
- Sheet 11 BP Site, Berrys Bay
- Sheet 12 Coal Loader site, Balls Head
- Sheet 13 HMAS Waterhen
- Sheet 14 Woolwich Defence Land
- Sheet 15 Gladesville Hospital site
- Sheet 16 ADI site, Ryde
- Sheet 17 Shepherds Bay, Meadowbank
- Sheet 18 Naval Stores site, Ermington
- Sheet 19 Leeds Street, Rhodes
- Sheet 20 Rivendell Adolescent Unit
- Sheet 21 Concord Repatriation General Hospital
- Sheet 22 The Dame Eadith Walker Hospital
- Sheet 23 AGL site, Mortlake
- Sheet 24 Cockatoo Island, Spectacle Island, and Snapper Island
- Sheet 25 Caltex site, Ballast Point
- Sheet 26 Fletcher site, Blackwattle Bay
- Sheet 27 Strickland House, Vaucluse
- Sheet 28 HMAS Watson, South Head
Wetlands Protection Area Map
Critical Habitat Area Map