The Department of Planning & Environment supports sustainable growth in NSW.
The department's aim is to deliver strategies and decisions which balance planning and environmental issues with the goal of facilitating sustainable growth and employment in NSW.
The department has a number of closely affiliated agencies within its portfolio. For more information on these agencies visit the websites from the links below.
The department works closely with local government, stakeholders and the community. Our work includes:
- long-term planning for the State’s regions
- driving well-located housing and employment land
- assessing State significant development proposals, and
- ensuring the planning system is efficient and effective
- protecting and caring for the state's environment and heritage, including the natural environment, Aboriginal country, culture and heritage and built heritage.