The Showground Station Precinct has now been rezoned. The redevelopment of the precinct will transform the area around Showground Station into a vibrant urban centre, deliver nearly two hectares of parks and new open space and provide community facilities, recreation areas and a mix of housing choice for people at all life stages.
The new precinct will provide for around 2,300 new jobs over the next 20 years, harnessing the benefits of the $20 billion Sydney Metro, Australia's largest public transport project. The Castle Hill Showground site will continue its role as an important cultural and recreational facility and there will be improved access to Cattai Creek. About 5,000 new homes will also be delivered over the next 20 years, with a new design excellence clause to ensure all buildings meet a high standard of architecture and urban design.
The Department has made the following changes to the draft proposal based on community feedback:
- The introduction of an incentive clause within The Hills Local Environment Plan (LEP) that encourages a mix of apartment types and sizes, supporting The Hills Council's family friendly dwelling strategy
- A new provision has been introduced that ensures no more than 5,000 new dwellings can be delivered in the Showground Precinct
- An increase to the amount of open space at Chapman Avenue Reserve
- Changes to minimum lot size requirements for residential flat buildings to encourage the formation of larger development sites
- Site specific development control plans will be required for development on sites greater than 3,600 metres to improve the master planning outcomes of larger development
- An improved design excellence clause in The Hills LEP so new buildings meet a high standard of architecture and urban design
- Proposed changes to land west of Cattai Creek has been deferred until further urban design and landscape master planning work is completed. This area will be subject will subject to to additional community consultation and public exhibition.
- Council's request for a bonus scheme, by which additional floor space is provided for development greater than one hectare and providing for larger apartments, has also been agreed to. Community consultation identified that many landowners are already seeking to aggregate development parcels greater than one hectare. Safeguards have been included in the rezoning to ensure sites that can't aggregate to one hectare because of the road network or current lot configuration can still benefit from the bonus, with Council approval.
A final report is available. The supporting rezoning legislation and maps for the rezoning can be found here:
- State Environmental Planning Policy Amendment (Showground Station Precinct) 2017 (pdf, 190kb)
- Sydney Metro Northwest map (pdf, 5.5mb)
- Floor Space Incentive map (pdf, 5.4mb)
- Floor Space Ratio map (pdf, 5.6mb)
- Height of buildings map (pdf, 5.9mb)
- Land Reservation map (pdf, 5.6mb)
- Building Setback map (pdf, 5.5mb)
- Active Street Frontage map (pdf, 3.2mb)
- Land Zoning map (pdf, 4.6mb)
- Lot Size map (pdf, 7.5mb)
The Department is now working with The Hills Shire Council to:
- identify local infrastructure such as upgraded roads and parks and improvements to walking and cycle paths suitable for the $15 million Precinct Support Scheme funding available for the Showground, Bella Vista and Kellyville Station Precincts.
- finalise development control and infrastructure plans for these precincts.
View the Showground Station Precinct video:
View the material that was exhibited
The exhibition period has now closed, however you can still view the material:
As part of the Precinct Support Scheme, up to $5 million has been allocated to improving local infrastructure around the Showground Station precinct.
An online survey was conducted throughout April and early May 2016 to get community feedback about how the council can use this money to improve the areas around the station. Results of the survey will be made public in late May 2016.
The submissions received in response to the draft proposal can be viewed online at Showground precinct submissions.
Sign up for email updates on the Showground Station precinct
Page last updated: 18/12/2017