Image: Hadley Park homestead, Penrith NSW © Office of Environment and Heritage
Hadley Park is one of Australia’s oldest farming estates. It includes a farm house (circa 1803 –1812), a collection of farm buildings and a garden located on the Nepean River floodplain. This property dates to the one of the earliest phases of European settlement in Australia and documents over 200 years of continued occupation and agricultural land use.
The Department has acquired Hadley Park to preserve and protect the heritage listed site and allow future generations to come and learn about an important part of Australian history. The property will enhance quality open space for the people of Western Sydney to enjoy for future generations.
Image: the historic Fernhill Estate, Mulgoa, NSW
Fernhill Estate was first established in the late 1830s by pastoralist Edward Cox and the estate’s homestead built in 1842 is surrounded by Cumberland Plain Woodland. The estate, located next to Mulgoa Village, comprises the heritage-listed homestead, another home and outbuildings, gardens, lakes, paddocks, equine facilities and a 2km horse race track.
The estate’s homestead mansion is an example of colonial–era Greek Revival architecture with an intact early colonial garden.
The Department has finalised the purchase of the central precinct of Fernhill Estate at Mulgoa. The historic Estate will be reserved as green open space and its heritage buildings and gardens preserved.
Now in public hands, the Fernhill Estate provides Government the opportunity to improve the liveability for the people of New South Wales.
The Planning Ministerial Corporation will manage the property initially and will consult with the community to develop a plan for the long–term future management of the Estate.
If you would like to register your interest in the consultation process please send an email to Elizabeth.Parker@planning.nsw.gov.au.
Contact us to submit an enquiry or provide feedback.
Erskine Park Link Road
Image: Erskine Park Link Road
In 2009, the NSW Government announced the rezoning of more than 800 ha of employment lands at Ropes Creek and Horsley Park to boost employment in the area with a future capacity of 16,500 jobs.
With the increase of jobs in the area, the NSW Government needed to find a solution to improve access. The solution was the Erskine Park Link Road. Erskine Park Link links the established Erskine Park industrial area to and from the M7 Motorway. It also supported development within the Eastern Creek and Ropes Creek precincts.
Image: Erskine Park Link Road, construction by Roads and Maritime Services
The Office of Strategic Lands partnered with Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) to identity the land area for acquisition for the road and related improvement works.
Using its acquisition expertise, OSL arranged independent valuations for each of the land interests and commenced negotiations with affected landowners to successfully deliver the land to RMS to commence the road construction.
The Erskine Park Link Road network has resulted in a direct link between the Western Sydney Employment Area and Sydney’s motorway network. This has reinforced Western Sydney Employment Area as a significant employment hub with increased access to the area.
Image: Sydney Park, St Peters, NSW
Located in St Peters, south-west of the CBD, the creation of Sydney Park was a result of a concentrated effort to provide the community with open space. The park addressed a lack of public open space for the local community.
Sydney Park has a rich history with a number of brick, pottery and tile works established in the area from the early 19th century. The area’s industrial heritage has been preserved with the kilns and brickworks chimneys at the corner of Sydney Park Road and the Princes Highway.
Image: The Campbell Street tip, St Peters, Sydney, 1971. City of Sydney archives: 025045.
Sydney Park is an important example of the Office of Strategic Land (OSL) acquiring land where there is a demonstrated community need.
The park was a former industrial site in a built up urban area and significant funds were needed to acquire the Sydney Park site. The acquisition for open space purposes was made possible through the Inner City Open Space program, funded by the Sydney Regional Development Fund.
OSL acquired the land in the 1980’s and transferred ownership of the Sydney Park site to South Sydney Council in 1991 and to the City of Sydney after the two councils merged in 2004. The Department oversaw the staged planning and implementation of the Sydney Park precinct, working with local councils and other state government agencies.
Today, Sydney Park is an inviting open space comprising 40 hectares of landscaped gardens, rolling hills, meandering pathways and picturesque wetlands.
Sign up for email updates on our projects
Page last updated: 02/12/2022