The Energy from Waste facility at Eastern Creek is classified as a State Significant Development (SSD).
The process is as follows:
- a development application is received by the Department
- the Department prepare the Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements (SEARs) that the applicant needs to address
- the applicant prepares an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to address the SEARs
- the Department publicly exhibit the EIS and consult with local councils, government agencies, other key stakeholders and the community
- the Department publish submissions and ask the applicant to address any concerns or issues raised by the community, council and government agencies
- the applicant prepares a formal Response to Submissions Report (RTS), which the Department publishes on their website
- the Department assess the merits of the project, including the EIS, all submissions and community feedback, and the RTS
- if there are more than 25 objections, a reportable political donation has been made, or the local council objects to the proposal, the application will be sent to the Independent Planning Commission for a final decision.
Page last updated: 05/06/2019