The planning and assessment process explained
The redevelopment of the Harbourside Shopping Centre is classified as a State Significant Development.
How the assessment process for State significant development works:
- a development application is received by the department
- the department prepares the Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements
- the applicant prepares an Environmental Impacts Statement to address the Secretary’s Environmental Assessment Requirements
- the department publicly exhibits the Environmental Impacts Statement and consult with the community
- the department publish submissions and ask the applicant to address any concerns or issues raised by the community, council or government agencies
- the applicant prepares a formal Response to Submissions, which we publish
- the department assess the merits of the project, including the Environmental Impacts Statement, all submissions and community feedback, and the Response to Submissions
- if there are a large number of objections or the local authority objects to the concept proposal, the application will be sent to the Planning Assessment Commission (PAC) for a decision. Otherwise, the Department makes a determination on whether or not to approve the project.
View all assessments relating to the Harbourside Shopping Centre at the Major Projects website.