The Sydney Modern development application will be built beside the existing Gallery, increasing the floor space by 62%. It will serve future generations of artists and visitors from NSW, interstate and around the world.
The proposal aims to achieve these outcomes:
- more space for the display and enjoyment of Australia’s art
- state-of-the-art spaces to host more international exhibitions from around the world
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art and culture being front and centre in the new building
- new facilities and opportunities for learning and participation
- an all-weather Entrance Plaza, offering a vibrant new gathering place for the city
- a 2-acre public art garden that will link the existing and new building
- adaptive re-use of disused WWII oil tanks previously inaccessible to the public
- double school student visits to 200,000 per year
- increase visitation from an average of 1.2 million people to over 2 million per year
- the highest environmental standards for any public gallery in Australia
- economic and cultural dividends to Sydney, NSW, and Australia.