In August 2018, the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment received a State Significant Development (SSD) application for the concept and associated stage 1 works of the proposed new Tweed Valley Hospital.
The Department assessed the SSD application and made a recommendation to the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces.
The Minister approved the Tweed Valley Hospital SSD application for the concept and associated stage 1 works on 11 June 2019.
In September 2019, Health Infrastructure NSW (HINSW) lodged a modification application (SSD 9575 Mod 1) to allow minor modifications to vegetation removal approved as part of the Stage 1 works. The modification application is now under assessment.
In October 2019, Health Infrastructure NSW (HINSW) lodged a modification to the concept proposal (SSD 9575 Mod 2) to allow a number of changes and refinements. The modification is now on public exhibition until 8 November 2019.
Changes to the concept proposal include:
- New building envelopes for a multi-deck car park and temporary building
- Increased hospital beds
- Changes to existing envelopes
- Increase floor area to 65,050 square metres
- Relocation of electrical switching station kiosk
- Revised landscaping
Have your say
The modification to the concept proposal is now on public exhibition 8 November 2019.
The Department welcomes feedback from the community, government agencies and other stakeholders during the public exhibition period. This feedback helps us better understand the opinions and concerns of the community, which informs our assessment of the project.
All project documents received by the Department to date are available on our Major Projects website.
How to submit your feedback on the modification application
Make an online submission
Your submission must reach the Department by 8 November 2019 to be considered.
- Your name and address
- The name of the application
- The application number SSD-9575 Mod 2
- A statement on whether you support or object to the proposal
- The reasons why you support or object to the proposal
- Anyone lodging submissions must declare reportable political donations (including donations of $1,000 or more) made in the previous two years. For more details, and a disclosure form, visit our Donations and Gift Disclosure webpage.
All submissions will be made public in line with the Department’s objective to promote an open and transparent planning system. If you are lodging your submission by post and do not want your name published, please state this clearly at the top of your submission. If you are lodging your submission online, follow the prompts on the website to choose if you do not want your name published.
Before making a submission, please read our privacy statement.
Approved SSD application
The approved SSD application comprises the following:
The concept proposal:
- a maximum building envelope for a nine-storey hospital with basement, rooftop helipad and plant rooms
- a maximum building envelope for a building accommodating supporting services
- a maximum floor area of approximately 65,000 square metres
- the site layout, internal road layout, site access arrangements and car parking areas
- a landscape master plan identifying open areas and concept public domain treatments
- Tweed Coast Road / Cudgen Road intersection upgrade.
Stage 1 works:
- identification and establishment of the construction compound
- construction of temporary internal roads, laydowns and parking for use during construction
- augmentation and connection of permanent services for the future hospital
- tree removal within the footprint of the construction works
- bulk earthworks and recycling of materials to establish the site levels
- piling and associated works
- stormwater infrastructure
- retaining walls
- site access points and intersection improvement work on Turnock Street / Cudgen Road
- site remediation works.
- All SSD application documentation related to the new Tweed Valley Hospital is available at our Major Projects website.
- Find out more about the recent changes to planning controls and the State Environmental Planning Policy.
- Find out more about the site selection and the proposed hospital development at the NSW Heath Infrastructure project site.
- Call our Information Centre on 1300 305 695. If English isn’t your first language and you prefer an interpreter, please call 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language, then request to be connected to our Information Centre on 1300 305 695.
Page last updated: 10/10/2019