The M6 Motorway (previously F6 Extension) program of works is a proposed multi-lane road link that aims to provide better connectivity to Sydney’s south and will be delivered in three stages.
Stage 1 comprises an approximately 4km continuous twin tunnel (north and south) which will connect the New M5 at Arncliffe to President Avenue at Kogarah. Key components include:
- north- and south-bound motorway tunnels around 4km in length
- a tunnel portal at Brighton-Le-Sands connecting to entry and exit ramps at a widened President Avenue
- stub tunnels for the proposed connection to a future southern stage of the M6 Extension
- upgrade of the President Avenue and Princes Highway Intersection
- ancillary infrastructure and operational facilities
- provision of new pedestrian and cycle pathways.
The approved project is State Significant Infrastructure (SSI) and has been declared Critical State Significant Infrastructure (CSSI). For further information on the SSI assessment process please visit our Major Projects website.
Stage 1 Application approved
The Stage 1 Application was approved in December 2019.
The department assessed the proposal based on consideration of the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), the Response to Submissions Report for the EIS, the Preferred Infrastructure Report (PIR) and the Response to the Submissions Report on the PIR, all submissions and community feedback.
The project has been approved subject to conditions which address the issues raised by the community, councils and government agencies in their submissions. Conditions have been set to enhance public space, cycling and pedestrian connectivity, and to improve environmental outcomes, including:
- stringent requirements to reduce noise during construction including requirements to provide noise mitigation measures early in the construction schedule to reduce the noise impacts to affected communities
- coordination of utility works to ensure adequate respite is provided to local communities
- enhanced urban design and landscaping provisions
- offsetting of public recreational facilities prior to their removal for construction
- strict and transparent air quality provisions following advice provided by the Advisory Committee for Tunnel Air Quality, NSW Health and the EPA.
Read the Ministerial media release for further details about the announcement: Green Light for M6 Stage 1 Motorway.
Consultation and feedback
Thank you to everyone who made a submission – your feedback was an important part of the assessment process.
All documentation related to the Stage 1 application, including the EIS, PIR, community and agency submissions and the infrastructure approval is available on our Major Projects website.
To find out more about the M6 Extension Stage 1:
M6 Stage 1 project map
Source: Roads and Maritime Services
Page last updated: 28/09/2022