In April 2020, Sydney Metro submitted a State Significant Infrastructure application seeking approval for the Sydney Metro West Concept and Stage 1 construction, consisting of tunnelling and station excavation between Westmead and The Bays Precinct.
The application was approved by the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces in March 2021 as part of the Horizon Projects program.
The Sydney Metro West project includes:
- Approximately 24-kilometres of twin tunnels between Westmead and the Sydney CBD
- New metro stations at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays and Sydney CBD
- A turn-up-and-go metro service operating between Westmead and Sydney CBD.
The approved Stage 1 construction works includes:
- Tunnel excavation including tunnel support activities between Westmead and The Bays
- Station excavation for new stations at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays
- Shaft excavation for services facilities at Rosehill, Silverwater and between Five Dock and The Bays
- Civil work for a stabling and maintenance facility at Clyde
- A concrete segment facility for use during tunnelling located at Clyde
- Excavation of a tunnel dive structure and associated tunnels at Rosehill to support a connection between the Clyde facility and the mainline metro tunnels.
Consultation and assessment
The department welcomed feedback on the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) during public exhibition from 30 April 2020 until 26 June 2020.
All feedback received helped us better understand the opinions and concerns of the community, government agencies and other stakeholders, which informed our assessment of the project.
The Minister for Planning and Public Spaces approved the application in March 2021. A full list of the conditions of infrastructure approval is available on our Major Projects website.
The approval of the application is the first stage in the development assessment process for the project. Remaining construction from The Bays Precinct to the Sydney CBD, rail systems fit-out, station fit-out, above ground building construction, and operation of the metro line will be subject to separate planning approvals, exhibition and assessment process.
All documents related to the application, including the EIS and assessment report, are available to view on our Major Projects website.
To find out more about Sydney Metro West you can also:
- visit the Sydney Metro website
- contact us via our online form.
Page last updated: 24/11/2022