In 2017 the Department finalised a suite of regional plans, so the whole of NSW is covered by strategic land-use plans.
The regional plans set a 20-year framework, vision and direction for strategic planning and land use to ensure regions have the housing, jobs, infrastructure, a healthy environment, access to green spaces and connected communities to continue to be vibrant places for people to live, work and visit.
We are currently undertaking the first 5-year review of all regional plans to reset priorities and to extend the plans’ reach from 2036 to 2041.
We have consulted widely with council and state agency stakeholders, peak bodies, business and local communities to develop the plans.
Latest update on regional plans
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Regional Plan 2041 was the first of the updated plans to be finalised in June 2021.
- New England North West Regional Plan 2041 was updated and finalised in September 2022.
- Central Coast Regional Plan 2041 was updated and finalised in October 2022.
- Hunter Regional Plan 2041 was updated and finalised in December 2022
- Central West and Orana 2041 was updated and finalised in December 2022
The remaining plans will be finalised in the coming months.