Development proposals and donations or gifts: know the rules
The political donation disclosure laws commenced on 1 October 2008.
The Local Government and Planning Legislation Amendment (Political Donations) Act 2008 requires the public disclosure of donations or gifts when lodging or commenting on development proposals. This law is designed to improve the transparency of the planning system.
The law introduces disclosure requirements for individuals or entities with a relevant financial interest as part of the lodgement of:
- various types of development proposals, or
- requests to initiate environmental planning instruments or development control plans.
These disclosure requirements apply at the time of lodgement to councils or the NSW Government.
Disclosure requirements also apply to individuals or entities lodging submissions in objection or support to the above types of proposals.
Disclosure statement forms
- Political donations disclosure statement - for applications or public submissions to the Minister or Director-General
- Template - which local councils can adapt and use for political donations and gifts disclosure statements relating to applications or public submissions to the council
- The Local Government and Planning Legislation Amendment (Political Donations) Act 2008 is available on the NSW legislation website
- Further information on the making of the Local Government and Planning Legislation Amendment (Political Donations) Act 2008 is available on the NSW Parliamentary website
Public access to disclosures
A copy of each disclosure statement in relation to planning applications or submissions made to the Minister or Director-General will be kept on a register in the Information Centre of the Department of Planning head office at 23-33 Bridge Street, Sydney (except disclosures in relation to development within the alpine resort areas). Disclosures will be available for viewing by the public during normal business hours. Phone 1300 305 695.
Disclosure statements in relation to development within the alpine resort areas (under State Environmental Planning Policy - Kosciuszko National Park - Alpine Resorts) will be available for viewing by the public at the Department's Jindabyne Office - Shop 5, Lot 141 Snowy River Avenue, Jindabyne during normal business hours. Phone 02 6456 1733.
Disclosures associated with Part 3A project applications may also be made available on the Major Project Register.