The Apartment Design Guide provides consistent planning and design standards for apartments across the State.
It provides design criteria and general guidance about how development proposals can achieve the nine design quality principles identified in SEPP 65 (State Environmental Planning Policy No 65 - Design Quality of Residential Apartment Development).
For apartment development applications lodged from 19 June 2015 and determined after 17 July 2015, the Apartment Design Guide, along with the changes to SEPP 65 applies.
- Apartment Design Guide – in full (PDF, 21 MB)
- Apartment Design Guide Introduction – How to use the Guide (PDF, 602 KB)
- Apartment Design Guide Part 1 – Identifying the context (PDF, 3.1 MB)
- Apartment Design Guide Part 2 – Developing the controls (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Apartment Design Guide Part 3 – Siting the development (PDF, 4 MB)
- Apartment Design Guide Part 4 – Designing the building (PDF, 4.9 MB)
- Apartment Design Guide Part 5 – Design review panels (PDF, 401 KB)
- Apartment Design Guide Appendices (PDF, 7.1 MB)
Residential Flat Design Code
The Residential Flat Design Code has been superseded by the Apartment Design Guide.
For applications lodged prior to the 19 June 2015 the Residential Flat Design Code (PDF, 7.6 MB) still applies.
Please note: some of the PDFs on this page contain large amounts of rich content and may take some time to download.
Page last updated: 05/10/2022