The Minister for Planning has delegated his power to make a number of decisions to senior officers of the Department.
The department has delegation to make decisions on:
- State significant development and infrastructure applications and modifications, and other development applications where there are less than 25 objections, local council support and no relevant political donation disclosures have been made
- ‘Gateway’ decisions on local environmental plans (LEPs) – usually to decide whether the LEP can proceed to public exhibition
- approvals or refusals of LEPs.
The Independent Planning Commission has a delegation to make decisions on State significant development and modification applications and modifications submitted by a private proponent, where:
- there have been 25 or more objections to the application, or
- the local council has objected, or
- there has been a reportable political donation in connection with the application, or to a previous related application.
Decisions on State significant development and infrastructure applications and modifications, and other development applications decided under delegation, are available on the Major Projects Register.
Decisions on LEPs are available from LEPs Online. For all LEPs that have been formalised, go to the Legislation.nsw.gov.au website
Development assessment delegations
- Instrument of Delegation (signed 11 October 2017) - Minister for Planning - this instrument delegates the Minister's development assessment functions under the EP&A Act 1979 and the EP&A Regulation 2000 to the Department of Planning and Environment.
- Instrument of Delegation (signed 26 September 2017) - Secretary, Department of Planning and Environment - this instrument delegates the Secretary's development assessment functions under the EP&A Act 1979 and the EP&A Regulation 2000 to Department of Planning and Environment staff.
Local environmental plan decision delegations from the Minister dated 14 October 2012, 18 January 2016, and Secretary.
Other development assessment systems
Page last updated: 21/05/2019