A development consent permits a new building that will change our environment, and may affect our amenity or the amenity of those around us.
A DA is required to:
- Manage change to ensure that the cumulative impacts of developments do not negatively affect the environment.
- Balance public and private interests by ensuring new development fits the character of the area and sits comfortably within the ‘public domain’ (e.g. streets, laneways or public reserves).
- Provide an impartial process which allows interested members of the community to raise issues, to ensure a balanced and considered outcome for all.
- Ensure that the hard infrastructure (e.g. stormwater drainage, car parking and power supply) and soft infrastructure (e.g. trees and landscaping) needed for your development is provided.
- Ensure that your building is structurally safe, protected from fire and has appropriate access to sunlight and ventilation.
Page last updated: 05/10/2022