Good design is sustainable, functional, socially beneficial, and most of all it is future proof.
In 2017, our work will have an increased focus on the importance of good design and how it can help to improve the lives of the people in NSW.
This will include:
- How our cities are designed. Liveability, open spaces, public spaces, connectivity, the location of schools and services, jobs and improved amenity all need to be coordinated.
- How housing is designed. Housing diversity needs to meet the needs of a changing population, particularly as we move from a suburban to an urban landscape.
- How infrastructure is designed. Resources projects and development on major sites need to be designed with innovation.
- How our planning system is designed, including work on our legislative, regulatory, online and policy frameworks. This will play a critical role in shaping a simpler and more responsive planning system.
Our design focus will build on work undertaken in 2016, which saw the Office of the Government Architect launch the draft Architecture and Design Policy.
This policy will play an important role in helping to deliver high quality urban design and better places for people across NSW.
Our planning work will draw on the key principles outlined in the policy:
- contextual, local and of its place
- sustainable, efficient and durable
- equitable, inclusive and diverse
- enjoyable, safe and comfortable
- functional, responsive and fit for purpose
- value-creating and cost effective
- distinctive, visually interesting and appealing.
You can find out more about good design from the Government Architect of NSW.