The NSW Government is working to improve the planning and approvals processes for caravan parks, camping grounds, manufactured home estates and moveable dwellings with a comprehensive review of the existing framework.
The aims of the review are to:
- simplify and streamline the planning and approval process
- balance short-term tourist accommodation needs and long-term residents’ needs
- improve the design, location, and amenities of future developments.
The department is exhibiting a consultation draft of proposed reforms as phase 1 of the review until Friday 15 December 2023.
The proposed amendments affect:
- flooding standards
- installation of caravans, tents and campervans outside of caravan parks and camping grounds
- installation of manufactured homes within caravan parks
- improvements to community map requirements
- updates to the standards for fire hydrants and hose reels
- structural changes to the layout of the LG Regulation.
We welcome your feedback, which will help inform the final reforms for phase 1 of the review.
Phase 2 will deal with broader issues of definitions and permissibility, and ensure that the planning system is no barrier to the use of manufactured homes outside parks and estates. We anticipate exhibition of a discussion paper for phase 2 to occur in 2024.
Temporary emergency accommodation
The Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021 has been updated to help people who need emergency accommodation because of natural disasters or the COVID-19 pandemic.
Visit Temporary accommodation for more information on the available options.
In 2021, we made some minor changes to the planning provisions for caravan parks, camping grounds and manufactured home estates. These include remaking the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Ground and Movable Dwellings) Regulation in September 2021 and consolidating the State Environmental Planning Policy No 21 – Caravan Parks and State Environmental Planning Policy No 36 – Manufactured Home Estates into the Housing SEPP.