LEPs provide a framework that guides planning decisions for local government areas through zoning and development controls. Zoning determines how land can be used (for example, for housing, industry, or recreation) and development controls set guidelines such as the maximum building height allowed.
Changes to LEPs keep local planning controls up to date. The process of making and amending LEPs aims to make sure these changes are in keeping with broader strategies and deliver good planning outcomes.
- Local Environmental Plan Making Guideline (PDF, 10 MB)
- Local Environmental Plan Making Guideline Attachment A (DOC, 6.9 MB)
- Local Environmental Plan Making Guideline Attachment B (PDF, 219 KB)
- Local Environmental Plan Making Guideline Attachment C (PDF, 119 KB)
- NSW Planning Reform Action Plan - Frequently asked questions (PDF, 93.1 KB)
Visit the NSW Planning Portal to:
- track and review planning proposals
- track the progress of your site compatibility certificate