Planning helps small to medium-sized cities like Newcastle to fulfil their economic potential and become thriving metropolitan locations with many attractions.
Professor Greg Clark CBE was involved with the Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan. He is an author and global adviser with expertise ranging from city economies and identities to strategic planning.
Watch him address a workshop on how strategic planning enables second-tier cities like Newcastle to reach their potential.
Australia’s leading regional economy
Creativity and innovation in the services and tourism sectors will turbocharge Greater Newcastle’s economy, boosting household incomes in the next 2 decades, according to property consultancy MacroPlan Dimarsi.
We commissioned the firm to contribute to the inaugural draft of the Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036.
Its key recommendations are in Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Strategy Economic Prospects to 2036 (PDF, 1.8 MB), released in 2017. They build on Newcastle’s transformation from a steel city to a new service economy based on health, education and tourism.
- Draft Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036 (PDF, 6.7 MB)
- Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036 (PDF, 11.6 MB)
- Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036 – Consultation Report 2018 (PDF, 6.4 MB)
- Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036 – Implementation Plan 2018-2020 (PDF, 4.3 MB)
- Hunter Regional Plan 2036 (PDF, 5.6 MB)