We are working with our stakeholders to create a simpler planning system, reduce assessment times and make it easier to invest in NSW.
The introduction of standard conditions of development consent is an initiative under the NSW Planning Reform Action Plan. Introducing standardised conditions that will be used by all councils when approving local and regionally significant development will help speed up assessment timeframes, provide greater consistency and certainty and make development consents easier to navigate. This will free up councils to focus on the more complex aspects of development assessment and compliance.
The introduction of the standard conditions
From 30 June 2023, councils and planning panels will be required to use the standard format notice of determination on the NSW Planning Portal. We have released a suite of resources to help councils and consent authorities adjust to the new requirements:
- Standard conditions of consent for residential development and for other types of development
- Standard format for notices of determination
- Bespoke conditions and revised conditions writing guide.
You can view a webinar on the policy and legislative updates for the standard conditions of consent project. The webinar outlines:
- updates on the standard conditions project
- standard format Notice of Determination
- changes to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2021
- the updated guide to writing conditions of consent
- preparing bespoke conditions
- training and resources for councils
- the implementation program and training on changes to the NSW Planning Portal.
NSW Planning Portal training
We will provide training to councils on both the use of the NSW Planning Portal for preparing notices of determination and applying bespoke conditions through the Planning Portal. We will also make a test environment available so councils can explore the features of the system.
A Standard Conditions Toolkit (PDF, 427 KB) is now available to assist councils to:
- create and upload their bespoke libraries of conditions for different types of development on to the Planning Portal
- prepare notices of determination on the Planning Portal using a standard format.
Councils can start uploading conditions into the council bespoke condition library on the Planning Portal in preparation for the 30 June 2023 deadline.