With the release of the Simplified Housing Code, and the expansion of planning services coming soon to the NSW Planning Portal, the Electronic Housing Code will be decommissioned.
The NSW State Government’s digital strategy was launched in May and reinforced the need to make government services more efficient, easier to use, accessible and online.
The Department’s eBusiness branch, through the NSW Planning Portal, is a key driver of online planning in NSW. The Electronic Housing Code (EHC) is one of the many planning tools currently available through the NSW Planning Portal, that helps users determine what planning permissions they need to build or renovate under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008. With the release of the simplified Housing Code, the information being provided will be inaccurate and the system would need to be redeveloped.
In parallel, the Planning Portal is preparing to launch new state-wide online lodgement services, it will be even faster and easier to plan a development. Online Lodgement will consolidate and centralise the application process, saving applicants time and money by allowing them to do the following via the NSW Planning Portal:
- find out what planning permissions they need to build or renovate
- submit and lodge an application for development online
- track the progress of an application.
When Online Lodgement is available, it will expand upon the functionality of the EHC, and include up-to-date planning information, such as development standards for exempt and complying development, in line with the Simplified Housing Code.
What does this mean?
- On 23 June 2017, applicants will no longer be able to investigate assessment options or prepare, submit or lodge applications via the EHC. Applications will be lodged offline using the application processes defined by the relevant council or private certifier.
- Before 9pm on 14 July 2017, users will be able to access the dashboards, ensuring they can download and save investigation reports or application information; or input determination information.
- If you have an application currently under assessment, the assessment needs to be finalised prior to 9pm on 14 July 2017. If this is not possible, please notify the applicant directly advising that the assessment and determination process will be completed outside of the EHC.
- On the 15 July 2017, you will be unable to access the EHC and system redirects will be in place.
For more information on the decommissioning of the EHC, download our frequently asked questions (PDF, 56.2 KB) or contact us.