Skip to main content
NSW Department of Planning and Environment
  • Share:

The NSW Government has introduced special entertainment precincts to provide a different way for councils to manage amplified noise from licensed premises.


We are proposing changes to planning rules that will help to bring more live music to local communities and support the growth of hospitality industries. These changes will provide more flexibility to councils to support live music venues and create more places for communities to enjoy.


Inner West Council trial

We are proposing a change to the Inner West’s Local Environmental Plan to enable a 3-month trial special entertainment precinct on a section of Enmore Road from 1 September to 30 November 2022.


This will allow council to trial a Noise Management Plan for licenced venues that have amplified music, and for council, venues and the community to understand the practical aspects of noise management in the precinct.


The change could facilitate more entertainment to support venues and an active night time economy.


Exhibition closed – Inner West Special Entertainment Precinct

An Explanation of Intended Effect (EIE) for changes to trial the Inner West special entertainment precinct in Enmore Road was on exhibition from 10 June 2022 until 8 July 2022. Visit the Planning Portal to find out more and read the EIE.


For more information on the Inner West trial, please contact Billy Cotsis, Economic Development team leader on 02 9392 5137 or


old special entertainment precinct decorative 430x278px
special entertainment precinct decorative 430x278px v2

What is a special entertainment precinct?

A special entertainment precinct is a defined area where sound from licenced venues with amplified music is managed by councils through their Noise Management Plan.


Councils can identify a precinct by amending their Local Environmental Plan. A precinct may be a single venue, streetscape or other defined area. How council decide where is suitable for a special entertainment precinct will depend on local amenities, existing infrastructure, and current (or intended) neighbourhood character.


Precinct Pilot Program

We are developing draft Guidelines to support councils and industry to establish and operate special entertainment precincts. The draft Guidelines are being co-designed with the Office of Local Government NSW and the Office of the 24-Hour Economy Commissioner, with input from key stakeholders such as local councils and industry bodies.


A Precinct Pilot Program will help to refine the draft Guidelines. The pilot will consider the practical considerations of establishing and operating a precinct. Three councils are participating in the program:

  • Inner West propose to trial a precinct on Enmore Road from 1 September to 30 November 2022
  • Lake Macquarie coordinated activities including live music performances and yoga within venues’ existing license and consent conditions in April 2022
  • The City of Sydney is considering the feasibility of special entertainment precincts in their local government area.


Agencies involved in the pilot program include the Department of Planning and Environment, NSW Office of Local Government, Liquor & Gaming NSW, Office of the 24-Hour Economy Commissioner, and NSW Police Force.


Where can I go for advice and support?

For more information on the establishment and operation of special entertainment precincts in your area:


Supporting resources:

Page last updated: 08/07/2022