NSW Department of Planning and Environment

Combustible cladding regulation

Following the tragic fire at the Grenfell Tower in London in 2017 and the fire at the Lacrosse Building in Melbourne in 2014, new laws have been made for buildings with combustible cladding. The laws are part of a whole-of-government response to the fire safety risks posed by external combustible cladding.

These laws are the Environmental Planning and Assessment Amendment (Identification of Buildings with Combustible Cladding) Regulation 2018 (PDF) and State Environmental Planning Policy Amendment (Exempt Development – Cladding and Decorative Work) 2018 (PDF). They commence on 22 October 2018.

Under the Regulation, owners of certain buildings with external combustible cladding are required to register their building with the NSW Government through the simple, user friendly NSW Cladding Registration portal.

For buildings occupied before 22 October 2018, the deadline for registration is 22 February 2019. Owners of new buildings will be required to register their building within four months of the building first being occupied.

Go to the cladding portal

You can:

Building types

The Regulation applies to the following building types (both new and existing buildings) of two or more storeys:

  • Residential apartment buildings
  • Other types of residential buildings where people sleep. For example, hotels, boarding houses, backpackers, student accommodation
  • Aged-care buildings; hospitals and day surgeries (and any associated single dwellings within the building)
  • Public assembly buildings. For example, theatres, cinemas, schools and churches (and any associated single dwellings within the building).

Cladding types

The Regulation applies if any of the above buildings have external combustible cladding made of the following materials:

  • metal composite panels, including products that consist of aluminium, zinc, or copper outer layers and a core material; or
  • insulated cladding systems including systems comprised of polystyrene, polyurethane, and polyisocyanurate.

There are also new provisions in the Regulation that require referral of certain 'alternative solutions' (under the Building Code of Australia) involving external combustible cladding to Fire and Rescue NSW.

A guide to combustible cladding

The Guide for the Assessment of Buildings with Combustible Cladding (PDF, 227 KB) is designed to assist councils and other authorities when undertaking or reviewing combustible cladding assessments, or when using one of the various risk assessment tools and methodologies currently available. The Guide could also assist industry and building owners.

The Guide sets out matters for consideration that could be included in an assessment of a building with external combustible cladding.

Download the Guide


Exempt development for cladding – SEPP amendments

Concurrent to the making of the Regulation, the NSW Government has amended eight State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs) concerning the approval process for new cladding, re-cladding and decorative work on buildings. The SEPPs that have been amended are:

  • SEPP (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009
  • SEPP (Educational Establishments and Child Care Facilities) 2017
  • SEPP (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008
  • SEPP (Infrastructure) 2007
  • SEPP (Kosciuszko National Park–Alpine Resorts) 2007
  • SEPP (Mining, Petroleum Production and Extractive Industries) 2007
  • SEPP (Three Ports) 2013
  • SEPP (Western Sydney Parklands) 2009.

For information about the SEPP amendments and FAQs on the changes go to the Exempt development for cladding webpage.

More information

For more information please contact us online or call us on 1300 305 695. If English is not your first language, please phone 131 450, ask for an interpreter in your language.

Visit the NSW Cladding Registration Portal claddingregistration.nsw.gov.au

Download the Building System Circular BS 18–001 Buildings with external combustible cladding, 25 September 2018 (PDF, 219 KB).

Visit NSW Fair Trading's website for more information on Fire safety and external wall cladding and building product use ban.

Visit Fire and Rescue NSW's website for tips on high-rise fire safety.

Page last updated: 02/03/2023