Roads, electricity and water connect new communities. Schools, parks and libraries invite people into these communities and emergency services and hospitals help us feel safe. Ports and telecommunications help our economy to grow by encouraging the movement of people, resources and ideas.
The department is actively involved in the planning for and funding of infrastructure across the state through:
- consistent planning principles and development standards in State Environmental Planning Policies (also known as SEPPs)
- guidelines on specific types of infrastructure to help developers through the assessment and development process
- strategic planning to ensure infrastructure meets the demand through the preparation of growth plans for both Sydney metropolitan (Greater Sydney Region) and regional areas
- assessment of development proposals for state significant infrastructure and
- funding systems associated with infrastructure provision, especially through the development contributions system.