A NSW Government website

Supportive accommodation

Supportive accommodation is long-term accommodation for a person or people who need supervision and support services to be provided on-site. These services may include medical, counselling, education/training (such as life skills development) and administrative services.

Supportive accommodation is provided for people making the transition from supported living or homelessness to fully independent living. It is generally operated by non-for-profit organisations and charities.

Supportive accommodation and the Housing SEPP

When the Housing SEPP was made, the supportive accommodation provisions were transferred from the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009.

The NSW Government continues to support vulnerable people by facilitating housing opportunities for people making the transition from supported living or homelessness to independent living.

The supportive accommodation provisions are in Chapter 2, Part 2, Division 4 of the Housing SEPP.

The supportive accommodation provisions are currently being reviewed. Learn more about this review on the NSW Planning Portal.

Frequently asked questions

What approvals are needed for supportive accommodation?

Under the provisions of the Housing SEPP, supportive accommodation can be provided in existing residential flat buildings or boarding houses without the need for development consent, but only if the development does not involve the erection or alteration of a building or an addition to a building.

Where an existing building needs alterations or additions so that it can be used as supportive accommodation, a development application or complying development certificate would be required.

For more information, email [email protected] or phone 02 8289 6700.