The Department has prepared the below guideline, example LSPS and FAQs to assist councils to develop their first LSPS.
The Department will check in with councils throughout the preparation of their LSPS to make sure that the statements are on the right track. An education course and further support for councils will be rolled out in the coming months by the Department. For Greater Sydney this will be done by the Department in partnership with the Greater Sydney Commission.
- Local Strategic Planning Statements – Guidelines for Councils (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Example Local Strategic Planning Statement – February 2019 (PDF, 11.7 MB)
- The Role of Local Strategic Planning Statements factsheet (PDF, 79 KB)
- Local Strategic Planning Statements – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 138 KB)
- Local Strategic Planning Statements – Planned precincts (PDF, 325 KB)
- Local Strategic Planning Statements, Community Strategic Plans and the Integrated Planning and Reporting Framework (PDF, 66 KB)
Planning Connects Webinar
A Planning Connects Webinar outlining the rationale, purpose and practical use of the statements was held on 10 October 2018.
You can watch the recording on the Planning Connects page.
Introduction to Local Strategic Planning Statements
The Department has prepared a fact sheet to provide guidance about how Local Aboriginal Land Councils (LALC) can get involved in the development of Local Strategic Planning Statements (LSPS).
All NSW local councils are required to write and publish an LSPS for their local government area.
To learn more about the changes to the Act see Part 4 – Development controls and approvals.
Page last updated: 05/09/2022