The M6 Motorway (previously F6 Extension) program of works is a proposed multi-lane road link that aims to give better connections to Sydney’s south. It will be delivered in 3 stages.
Stage One comprises continuous twin tunnels connecting the New M5 at Arncliffe to President Avenue at Kogarah. Key components include:
north- and south-bound tunnels around 4 km in length
a tunnel portal at Brighton-Le-Sands connecting to entry and exit ramps at a widened President Avenue
stub tunnels for the proposed connection to a future southern stage of the M6 Extension
upgrade of the President Avenue and Princes Highway intersection
secondary infrastructure and operational facilities
pedestrian and cycle pathways.
The approved project is state significant infrastructure (SSI) and has been declared critical state-significant infrastructure.
For more information on the SSI assessment process, see Major projects.
The Stage One application was approved in December 2019. It must meet conditions based on feedback from communities, councils and government agencies.
Conditions have been set to improve public space, cycling and pedestrian connectivity, and environmental outcomes, including:
- strict requirements to reduce construction noise, such as providing early mitigation measures
- coordinating utility works to ensure local communities get relief
- improved urban design and landscaping provisions
- offsetting public recreational facilities before removing them for construction
- strict and transparent air quality provisions, following advice from the advisory committee for tunnel air quality, NSW Health and the Environment Protection Authority.
- Major projects has project application documents
- Roads and Maritime Services: M6 Stage 1
- Contact us via our online form.
M6 Stage 1 project map
Source: Roads and Maritime Services